Sunday, November 1, 2009

the costume

As promised, a description of the Halloween steampunk experiment in pictures.

I came up with the idea to make a steampunk-related costume about two weeks ago. I was just looking at costume ideas on eBay for the purposes of this blog when I began to think, "Hey, I could do that."

So I ordered a corset top and skirt from eBay. The primary colors of steampunk costumes appear to be shades of tan and brown, so I ordered a steampunk skirt in that color and a corset top in what I thought was a tan color (it ended up being gold.) I already had a pair of brown boots and bronze colored earrings to wear with the costume. The costume cost no more than $40. Here's the skirt and corset-very frilly and Victorian:

I also wanted guns to go with my costume, to give the pretty Victorian girl idea an edge. So I took two neon dart guns I had at home, some black spray paint, some bronze spray paint, gray acrylic paint, and gold furniture paint to make my steam-powered guns:


I started by spray-painting the neon guns black. Why? If any of the top layers of paint chipped, the black would show through instead of the neon colors:


Then I was able to spray-paint the guns bronze. I applied two coats of the bronze paint:


After that I outlined the trim of the guns in the gray and gold. The gray acrylic paint was a bad idea. It barely stayed on, even after three coats. The gold worked marvelously- I only have to apply one coat:

I think the guns turned out rather well. The supplies to make them were no more than $5 put together, and only took maybe two, three hours max out of my time to make, with the spray painting taking no more than several minutes for each coat. It was the touch-ups that really took the most time.

My roommate Candy helped me with my hair. I curled it and then she put in in a low ponytail at the nape of my neck. Taking bobby pins, she took half the ponytail and pinned the curled ends above the ponytail (I forgot to take a picture of that.) The rest of the ponytail hung down my back in one long curl.

The entire ensemble, next to Andy as Rorschach from Watchmen:


The costume went over well, except no one had any idea what I was. A few people knew I was a Victorian woman of some sort at least. And while Candy and I looked good in our costumes (she was a Greek muse) Andy got the most attention. Just walking down Forbes Avenue in Oakland on Friday night most of the male pedestrians called out, "Hey Rorschach!" constantly. He was way too pleased with himself.

A good Halloween all around.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's safe you say you have sufficiently internalized the concept behind your blog.

    I should have gone as a seahorse nebula :(

    ReplyDelete