Saturday, November 28, 2009

the incomparable holmes

I just saw this great trailer for the new Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Rachel McAdams.


I wasn't too keen on seeing this movie with the first trailer, but this trailer seems more loyal to the character of Sherlock Holmes.  If anyone has ever read the books, he was definitely not refined or proper.  As a master of disguises he commonly cross-dressed, he was messy, he did practice his violin in the early hours of the morning, as the trailer suggests, and he once shot a "patriotic V" into the walls of his flat when he was bored.  Before I was not seriously debating seeing the movie--I was almost certain I'd pass it up.  Now you can expect to see me the day after Christmas, braving the crowds of teeny boppers waiting to watch the showdown between Edward and Jacob, all to see some Victorian action.  And watch Holmes and Watson "flirt," as Irene Adler so delicately put it.

You can view a clearer video of the same trailer here.  I didn't post it because it couldn't embed.

As an aside, while reading one of my textbooks for my Ottoman Empire class this afternoon, I found out that Sultan Abdulhamid II (r. 1876-1908) "enjoyed nothing more than having the detective adventures of Sherlock Holmes read to him before going to bed."

Since my history concentration is Middle Eastern history but I absolutely love studying Victorian England, it was sweet to see two of my favorite historical topics mix so unexpectedly.

1 comment:

  1. like the site-well written-good info

    ReplyDelete