Monday, February 22, 2010

monocles on the rise

According to this not-so-recent article by Henry Wallop from The Telegraph, monocle sales have gone up in recent months in England:
Bryan Magrath, the chief executive of Vision Express, said: “To our surprise we’ve had dozens of requests from customers in the last few months, so we thought we’d bring back the monocle on a trial basis. We’re as puzzled as anyone by the interest, but we’re a responsive retailer and we are delivering. I guess it’s one of those inexplicable fashion things.” 

image source: Gentleman's Emporium
Looking back at GQ's article about the current popularity of late 19th century fashions, which came out around the same time as this Telegraph article, is it really any surprise?

The ironic thing is I would be a perfect candidate for a monocle.  The vision in my right eye is about two times worse than that in my left eye for some inexplicable reason.  I could probably go without glasses altogether if it wasn't for that poor right eye.  However, I think I'll pass on purchasing one if they become common in America.  Even is the monocle will be attached to my neck with a chain, there are some situations, like driving, in which I can't afford to be feeling around for a monocle that has fallen off while keeping my poor eye on the road.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this article awhile ago myself, Miss.

    There is a picture that you might enjoy at http://www.life.com/image/82500555

    ReplyDelete