Friday, March 19, 2010

"a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

On Wednesday I started my job as a museum facilitator.  It's been... interesting.  Mostly cleaning out my new office, fighting my way through cobwebs and going through stacks of paperwork.  Although my old boss came out today and went over the education programs and a detailed description of the battle fought at the site.  I wish I could talk about it more, but I never wanted this blog to be a personal journal, and my new job has little to nothing to do with the 19th century.

Back to the focus of this blog: remember the steampunk Darth Vader helmet I came across a few weeks ago?

My friend Scott found something better:

image source: Sillof's Workshop
This fellow designed and sculpted all of these figures.  The Vader has a German Bismarck-esque helmet like the first Vader helmet I posted, and Leia's got a corset and laser gun.  The steampunk look does work very effectively with Star Wars, especially if you consider that there is so much Victorian sci-fi media such as The Time Machine or Space 1889.  The robots and the light sabers, the fantastic creatures and machines and imperialism of the Star Wars Universe, can easily be altered to fit the steampunk aesthetic.

This artist is onto something when he imagines Darth Vader as half-man, half machine:
image source: Eric's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Idea

No comments:

Post a Comment