Wednesday, June 23, 2010

facing the music [video] alejandro

I tried to avoid talking about this, mainly due to the fact that I find it very hard to watch Lady Gaga's new music video for the song "Alejandro."

I admire the video for one quality- its ability to interpret a seemingly upbeat song into a rather dark and scary vision on film.

And while the BDSM scenes and the music's eerie similarity to Ace of Base's "Don't Turn Around" disturb me, I think most of my issues with this music video lie with the following claims:
"Lady Gaga's 'Alejandro' Video Fashions From Eva Peron To Steampunk"
"Watch Lady Gaga's 'Alejandro' Video, Then Pray That Steampunk Fashion Doesn't Catch On"
Am I the only person who fails to see the steampunk influence in "Alejandro?"

I must have watched this music video about a dozen times now, trying to figure out the steampunk aspect.  Are goggles now the only requirement for anything to be considered steampunk?  If that's so, then an anime-obsessed friend of mine has been steampunking it out for years by wearing oversized black goggles on his head.  And here he thought he was imitating characters from Naruto, not Steamboy!

Sure, the goggles had a black sort of black Victorianesque lace.  You may be able to call them Neo-Victorian, along with the Elizabethan ruffle-collar she wears with the goggles.  But I always interpreted steampunk goggles as more metallic, not lacy.  And I thought the entire look was more reminiscent of Queen Amidala from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace than a steampunk chick.

 Maybe I'm just blind.  Below is the music video.  Decide for yourself:

No comments:

Post a Comment