Tuesday, August 31, 2010

victorian sexual healing

After a little hiatus, I am a little hesitant to write a post about the Victorian-era movie Hysteria, starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, Hugh Dancy, Jonathan Pryce, and Rupert Everett. The topic of this movie? According to Variety, this movie is about the invention of the vibrator:
Dancy and Pryce will star as doctors in London treating cases of hysteria, a condition said to be characterized at the time by a woman's irritability, anger or unexplained tears. Dancy's character and his best friend, portrayed by Everett, experiment with a new electrical device for treatment for the ailment. Gyllenhaal portrays the daughter of Pryce's character.
There is a lot to be said about the Victorians' attitudes towards sex, and I've read a few excellent books and essays on the topic, as well as discussed it in various classes. But I'm going to go the Victorian route and avoid talking about it. There is something else related to that most taboo of topics that I hope to discuss in detail later this week, and more than one sex post might be in bad taste. That, and I am no sexpert on the Victorian era. All I can really do is parrot what others have said who have actually studied the topic.

That being said, I would be interested in seeing this movie. I've always wondered why it was thought that relieving sexual tension would relieve the symptoms of "hysteria," that "weakness of the fairer sex."

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of this movie a while ago, I thought it was hilarious.. I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete