Saturday, March 12, 2011

the 19th century's own buffy the vampire slayer?

This post actually hurts to write, because I've just about had it with vampires in pop culture.  But it is relevant to this blog, so I feel obligated...

Seth Grahame-Smith, the author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, has another book based on a 19th century American icon- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.  


The story is apparently based on Lincoln's secret life as a vampire assassin, according to a quote from Fearnet:

"Lincoln's mother was killed by a supernatural creature, which fueled his passion to crush vampires and their slave-owning helpers. The novel depicts the 16th U.S. president as an axe-throwing, highly trained vampire killer."

Well, I'll give Grahame-Smith points for creativity of a story conception dealing with vampires. It's certainly not your modern teenage-girl romance kind of reading material.

With Timur Bekmambetov directing it and and Tim Burton producing it and many cast members already signed on (including Benjamin Walker as Honest Abe and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Mary Todd Lincoln), a movie version will begin filming this month in New Orleans and is currently scheduled to come to theaters in June 2012.

Despite my frustrations with the entire vampire story genre, chances are I'll probably end up seeing this movie. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a favorite of my boyfriend, and he'll probably give me the appropriate puppy-dog eye look to get me to accompany him.  The look is too powerful for me to resist.

Curses.

No comments: