Monday, March 28, 2011

for the scholarly neo-victorian

Swansea University in Wales has a scholarly e-journal for those interested in modern interpretations of Victorian life- Neo-Victorian Studies. 

Some of the articles in past editions of the journal explored steampunk culture in art, literature, film, and gender roles; and rewriting the idea of the Victorian era through modern media such as Sweeney Todd, The Illusionist, and Oliver!  There's even an article discussing the influence of Oscar Wilde in Alan Moore's V for Vendetta!

Here's a sampling of what to read in the current edition of the journal, which can be found here:
  • "Understanding the Literary Theme Park: Dickens World as Adaptation."
  • "Norbu's The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: Neo-Victorian Occupations of the Past."
  • "Ophelia, the Singing Corpse: Pleasure and the Gaze in Where the Wild Roses Grow.
I think I just found where I want to go to grad school.

Grad school is an interesting and painful topic for me to discuss, mainly because I left my undergraduate at the University of Pittsburgh interested in too many topics and not really sure where to go.  I can easily adapt myself to studying any period of history as the occasion calls for it- I did so with pleasure while I worked at Bushy Run Battlefield, even though I had never studied The French and Indian War, Pontiac's Rebellion, or The Seven Years' War before.

But when I do not have to invest myself in a historical era I always find myself drawn, again and again, to the Victorians.  Now I think it would be foolish for me to study anything else, because I obviously derive the most enjoyment from learning of the Victorians.  That doesn't mean that I will never want to learn about other periods of history- I just finished a book on the Northern Crusades in East Europe.  But it's obvious to me that the Victorian Era is not just a passing intellectual interest, as the Northern Crusades are to me, but a true passion that has been with me for the majority of my short life thus far.

For crying out loud I've been writing a blog on Victorian culture for a year and a half now!

No comments:

Post a Comment