Thursday, March 17, 2011

joyce = fail. leprechauns = win.

I just finished James Joyce's Dubliners, a collection of short stories surrounding the lives of average Irish people living in Dublin around the turn of the 20th century.  After reading all of them, I have to ask myself- why did Joyce even bother?  I don't feel like I got anything out of any of the stories except "The Dead." They're short pithy little character sketches, but it doesn't seem like these character sketches were worth reading.  I didn't really learn anything about people and humanity or even the time period, and I certainly wasn't very engaged.

Anyone else get the same feeling from reading Joyce's works, or completely disagree? Because after this little experience I am not inclined to bury myself in any more of his written work.

In honor of St. Paddy's Day, here's a video recording the League of S.T.E.A.M.'s attempts to catch a leprechaun:

No comments:

Post a Comment