Friday, March 25, 2011

more steam-powered musical goodness

I am not sure if bands like fans like me.  I am never obsessed with bands.  I am obsessed with particular albums and particular songs at certain times, usually in daily or weekly increments.  As for the artists who make the songs or albums I enjoy, I am more likely to use them as a guide to exposure to more music, rather than look into their personal lives and all of their recent happenings. On one hand, that means that I don't go crazy when I see them to the point where I become a scary fan.  On the other hand, that's how I miss important news items, such as the fact that steampunk band Abney Park came put with a new album over five months ago.

I wasn't expecting an album so soon after Aether Shanties, which came out at the end of 2009.  A Facebook status from my twin sister alerted me to the new album, The End of Days.

I've listened to a few of the tracks on YouTube so far, and I must say that I am impressed.  For their third steampunk-themed album, they maintain their focus on the genre and Victorian sci-fi well with their unique world music flair.

My particular favorites so far are the title track, "Victorian Vigilante," (makes me think of Sherlock Holmes for some reason)   and "Fight or Flight."




Yep, I'll definitely be downloading this album from the band's website this evening when I get home from work.

1 comment:

  1. I lov Abney Park, and only just discovered the new album last week as well. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete