Sunday, March 6, 2011

tidbits on the brain

After some recent dissecting of memories of the past and dreams of the present, I've just learned that I have a personal boogeyman who's been haunting my worst nightmares since I was six.  Is it any surprise to any of my readers that this boogeyman is Victorian?

As an aside, for any Victorian era enthusiast who's trying to decide which foreign language to study, my recommendation is French.  Not only were French words and phrases commonly used in 19th century novels such as Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, The Brothers Karamazov, and Vanity Fair, Paris was perceived as the center of the world at the end of the 19th century in regards to advances in technology, increasing trade opportunities and tourism attractions.  Perhaps the importance attached to Paris and France at this time in history is why French is so prevalent in non-French literature of the time.  Even in The Turn of the Screw the use of the French word "mot" (which means "word") would have no meaning to a reader without footnotes or a basic exposure to French vocabulary.

French certainly helps one dissect the meaning behind some of the lyrics in Kanon Wakeshima's neo-Victorian music video, "Lolitawork Libretto":


Aides-moi= Help me
Reveille-moi = Wake me up
Arrêtes- Stop
T'entends ma chérie- Hear me my darling

No comments:

Post a Comment