Monday, April 11, 2011

another kind of g.a.s.l.i.g.h.t.

Now on to the topic that reminded me to write about the movie Gaslight- the Victorian science fiction miniature gaming ruleset known as G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T.

G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., or Glorious Adventures in Science Loosely Involving Generally Historical Times, is a set of rules for miniature gaming based on Victorian science fiction adventures.  According to Buck's Blog:

Victorian Science Fiction (VSF) gaming is set in the world in which the predictions and visions of men like Jules Verne, HG Wells, and H. Ryder Haggard are true. In G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. Main Characters and Extras battle in a world of steam-powered vehicles, fantastic weapons, lost worlds, and terrible creatures. Pulp gaming pits steely-eyed, flint-jawed, barrel-chested, two-fisted, deadeye, tough as woodpecker lips, stud among studs, no kidding, stuff-of-legends hero-type guys against colorful, charismatic, egomaniacal, dastardly, nefarious villains and their mindless minions.
image source: Buck's Blog
In other words, G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. is steampunk meets miniature tabletop gaming.

This rule set has been around for years, but a new book with updated and revamped rules and pointers will soon be available to wargamers everywhere.  With The G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. Compendium there are rules for creating characters, building Tesla-like weapons and vehicles such as dirigibles, and the creation and integration of sci-fi creatures.

I've played few VSF games, but for the wargamer VSF is a pretty unique opportunity to mix the best of both the historical gaming and fantasy/science fiction gaming into one enjoyable experience.  I've never tried G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., but I'll definitely see if I can give it a shot the next time my boyfriend and I are planning a wargamer.

Bicyle battles anyone?

image source: Victorian Adventure Enthusiast

No comments:

Post a Comment