Tuesday, April 19, 2011

lolita fashion in the wake of the quake

There is a reason I avoided any mention of the earthquake that hit Japan on March 11- mainly because I didn't actually see the relevance to this blog   As you all know, I rarely cover current events on this blogs that aren't culturally related to neo-Victorianism, and I was pretty sure that the quake wouldn't affect anything Japanese-related on this blog-- I am not an adherent nor a fan of Lolita fashion, and all Japanese music and movies I listen to/see have, more often than not, been out for years before I discover them. To put it more simply, modern Japanese culture is just not something I run into a lot in my daily life, and not something I actively seek out.  And I didn't expect the magnitude of this earthquake to be as serious as it was at first.

When our office ran into an issue ordering black toner for our Japanese copier machine because of the earthquake, however I started to wonder what else would be affected.  So two weeks ago I began searching the web for any articles on the earthquake and its potential effects on Lolita fashion.  Fortunately for any Lolitas out there, I found little to help me.  There was one article where a Lolita in the U.S. was interviewed about her take on the effects of Lolita fashion on the quake, but I stupidly didn't bookmark it and can't seem to find the article again.  The gist of the article was a prediction on the Lolita's part that the earthquake would result in an emergence of a new kind of counter-culture created by the devastation of the earthquake, much as Japanese culture today is part of the cultural movement that sprang out of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb disasters that ended WWII.

One thing seems certain for any Lolitas out there who want to help Japan with recovering from this tragedy- keep buying Lolita goods.  There may be delays in receiving the items, but the important thing is the keep the Japanese economy afloat so they can continue to produce the items that Lolitas love.

Caption and photo taken from: Totally Cool Pix.
A shop attendant dressed in lolita fashion poses at Marui One, a branch of department store group Marui Co. Ltd., in Tokyo's Shinjuku district March 2, 2009. Suffering under tough economic conditions, Japanese department stores have been shutting stores and merging to survive. But department store group Marui Co. Ltd. is using a different strategy. They are remodelling their Shinjuku ward shops to target even narrower niche customer groups, beginning with their Marui One store. Within Marui One, which opened last month, there are more than 30 boutiques catering to consumers of Gothic, Lolita, Punk, Street and modern Asian brands. REUTERS/Issei Kato
Japan deserves so much praise.  It has not begged for help from other countries and is working its arse off to contain the nuclear power plants in the process of meltdown and clean up the mess.  Such dedication and resourcefulness in the face of such a major crisis is extraordinary.  It actually inspired me to check out the goods in Kawaii Gifts on Walnut Street in the Shadyside neighborhood in Pittsburgh the other day. 

To help with the Japanese relief effort through the American Red Cross, text 90999 to donate $10.  For more information, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment