Monday, May 9, 2011

pulling goodies out of the traveling bag

The hiatus is over.  Everything is fine with my family, at least physically, thank you all very much.  This past week has taught me many things about family bonds and dependability, as well as patience and understanding (or lack thereof).  I learned that I tend to fall into a caregiver category, which means that I am kinder than I was giving myself credit for.  Up until last Tuesday I was quite used to labeling myself as a totally uncaring, unloving individual with a black heart and "me me me" focused mindset.  I have since realized that this isn't the case at all- I know when to focus on my needs and when to focus on others' needs, and when to tell when it is healthy and when it is not healthy to be focused on one's self.

Other things that I have learned from the trip include the following:

  • Sixteen hour stints on a Greyhound are... interesting, to say the least.  My bus experience included hearing nearly every male brag nonstop about how "gansta" he is or how many years he's done in jail.  Also, you run into a lot of people who just straight out lie, including the Afghan-Italian who claims that his great-great-great-great-granduncle used to "rule" Afghanistan until the Taliban booted him out.
  • Starbucks Coffee prices are more expensive in the Deep South than in Pittsburgh
  • I am a beast when it comes to packing a van full of apartment goods- despite not having my dad's Eagle Scout knot-tying skills, I managed to tie a mountain bike to the roof of a van with 100 ft. of rope and normal, non-Boy-Scout-approved knots.  And it remained there for the entire 500 mile trip back to western PA.
  • My boss is awesome for making sure that I was safe the entire ride down and checking up on me periodically to make sure things were all right.  He also managed to keep most of my work updated, although there was a huge mess for me to clean up when I came back.
  • My boss can't remember passwords he set up himself.  The people I was around this last week were losing it every time he would call and I would answer him with something like- "The login is your email, and the password is the password to your computer..."
  • Metalocalypse is my new favorite TV show.  It's so friggin' hilarious to watch a bunch of asshole rock stars be asshole rock stars. And one of the songs features Emilie Autumn on the violin:

The absence also brought some new blog-worthy topics that will be popping up within the next few posts, such as a guest blog post about a topic that concerns Emilie Autumn fans and anyone who is mentally depressed, as well as me showing off the maroon vest I bought at a vintage clothing store in the Deep South.

For now, I want to recognize Bushy Run Battlefield's Volunteer of the Year, featured on Trailheads (a blog about the historic sites and museums on Pennsylvania's Trails of History).  Please meet David Mohr, my "problem child" when I was museum facilitator at Bushy Run:

image source: Bushy Run Battlefield, taken from Trailheads
That is his lovely wife Barbara next to him.  David is an American Civil War enthusiast who began volunteering at Bushy Run, a Pontiac's Rebellion site, as a way to support local history in his area.  He brought his entire family into the fold at Bushy Run, and they have been absolutely wonderful as volunteers.  They are dedicated to learning more about the history of the site, helping visitors with questions, and dedicating so much time and effort to ensuring that the site stays open and runs as a museum should. 

The reason he is my "problem child" is due to the fact that he was so eager to learn that he would do nothing but ask me questions when he first started working.  He then would apologize, as he seemed to think he was being troublesome.  He also earned this title after stints of cleaning the museum or trying to fix things up that went wrong, if only temporarily.  He'd clean out the air vents and there would then be dust all over the floor, for which I, or his wife, or his daughter, or his granddaughter would then proceed to tease him about before he even had a chance to get a broom to clean it all up.

He continues to be a dedicated member at Bushy Run, with a cheery attitude and a joke for everyone.  I always look forward to working with him when I am volunteering at the site.

If you love history, support a local history site so it can stay open!

Getting off my soapbox now...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your trip turned out okay! I do love history, and I would support a local history site, but that would require me to speak Korean. Maybe in a year or two. :) Looking forward to your next posts!

    ReplyDelete