Friday, September 16, 2011

neo-victorianisms of eastern Europe redux

I apologize for the short and quick posts of the past few days.  I've been in a bit over my head at work due to the fact that my boss left for India the day I came back from Europe, and I've been doing his job as well as mine.  Blogging and keeping up on the several other blogs I follow just hasn't been as big a priority.

For the moment I can catch my breath and spare some time to share more Victorian-inspired treasures from Europe with you all.  All photos are courtesy of my twin sister Leigh.

Not the best image, but Leigh and I were trying to take photos rather covertly.  This is the interior of the main post office in Klaipeda, Lithuania, a 19th century neo-Gothic styled building.
A wall detail in the main post office in Klaipeda
The Hill of Crosses, outside Siauliai, Lithuania

The story goes that crosses existed on this hill as early as the 1860s to commemorate those who died resisting the efforts of the Russian Empire to Russify the Lithuanian population.  During the Soviet era the Soviets saw the Hill as a sign of anti-Russian and anti-Soviet tendencies, so they bulldozed it.  The Lithuanians rebuilt it.  The Soviets bulldozed it at least two more times, and each time they did so the Lithuanians rebuilt it and replaced the destroyed crosses.  Now there are hundreds of thousands of crosses on this small hill to demonstrate the faith and peaceful resistance of the Lithuanian people.
Cameo rings from a market stall in Riga, Latvia.  Leigh bought the blue one on the right, while I purchased the pink one on the left.  It's so nice to know that I can infect family members with my own neo-Victorian fashion interests.

And, of course:

Your backpacking blogger with her new Latvian Victorian friends!

2 comments:

  1. Love the photos! I saw a travel show once that talked about the hill of crosses - very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so tied to the English and Parisienne images here in the US, especially as New York high Victorian society was so transfixed on what was happening there that the rest of Europe and Russia are almost forgotten.

    I love your blog by the way. You inspire me as I try to bring in some Victorian elements into my own lifestyle, well with a modern Neo-Vic twist of course!

    ReplyDelete