Thursday, September 29, 2011

recollections

When I got back from Europe I began a long search for a steampunk outfit suitable for the Goblin and Gears Fantasy Ball.  Not having the skills nor the willpower to make my own ball gown, I turned to the web for hours at a time, hemming and hawing over various Victorian dresses, steampunk outfits, and variations of the two.  My boyfriend made fun of my apparent obsession, mostly because while I was doing this I often failed to hear several questions and comments he directed toward me.  He has no idea that I went into a few local vintage, consignment, and lower end secondhand stores as well.

While I eventually settled on a custom-made dress through an eBay seller (which the seller is still in the process of making) I did find a few items that did pique my interest and almost resulted in purchases.  The only reason I did not purchase them was because they were either too plain, too Victorian, not fancy enough for a ball, or not unique enough for what I was looking for.

The first website I seriously searched with much interest was Recollections, makers of mostly 19th century historic clothing. Most of the items appear to be from the American Civil War era, but there is an excellent selection of later Victorian outfits as well.

"Some" of my favorites are featured below:

image source: Recollections
image source: Recollections
image source: Recollections
image source: Recollections
image source: Recollections
image source: Recollections
image source: Recollections

image source: Recollections
image source: Recollections
image source: Recollections
Yes, not all of these are "ball" gowns persay.  I got easily distracted- something else my boyfriend mocked me for.  And they're not all within a reasonable price range- many of these outfits were $350+ (and that's NOT including the undergarments that would make some of these skirts poofy or swishy in a truly Victorian ballgown way), and the most I was willing to spend was $250.

Eventually it was the price that got to me.

Despite the high prices of the gowns, I will definitely check out Recollections for an authentic everyday Victorian outfit within the $100-$200 range as soon as I rebuild my bank account from its recent European trip beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment