Sunday, October 2, 2011

steampunk threads

Continuing with last Thursday's post about sellers of fashionable, purported high-quality goods a la Victoriana,  I would like to direct everyone's attention to Recollection's sister site, Steampunk Threads

This clothing line, launched in 2009, is inspired by a variety of historic and imaginative styles to create a unique mix of 19th century-looking apparel for the inner clockwork femme fatale in all women:

image source: Steampunk Threads

image source: Steampunk Threads
BUSTIER AND SKIRTS
image source: Steampunk Threads
PENNY FARTHING
image source: Steampunk Threads
WHITE RABBIT
image source: Steampunk Threads
MAX EVANGELINE
image source: Steampunk Threads
MERCEDES
image source: Steampunk Threads

RACHEL MAE WRAITH
image source: Steampunk Threads
Like Recollections, the price tags are not cheap.  And while some outfits, like the Gypsy Rose, could probably be emulated with much cheaper clothes, the prices for most items don't seem too different from similar items from any other specialty steampunk, goth, or alternative fashion merchants.

You may not find any steals on Steampunk Threads, but you are sure to find a few pieces that can be mixed and matched with sister site Recollection's outfits or that vintage skirt you found in the local secondhand store.

3 comments:

  1. This store looks very interesting, I'll have to check it out. Especially since I'm already so fond of Recollections :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The store looks interesting. However you get what you pay for, and the fit on those outfits rarely look like it's as good as some off-the-rack stuff you see. I'd still say the price-value ratio is pretty good (as with the Recollections-dresses), though, for a well-tailored look a Victorian style, I would expect to pay from $500 up. :)

    I have the benefit of being able to sew my own stuff, and am working on learning more about the construction of outfits. However I'm stuck in the Edwardian Gibson Girl style fascination now. So I'm of course centered around that sort of projects right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Penny- I am so jealous. I wish I could sew1 Well, I can. I just haven't gotten ambitious enough to try any heavy-duty projects. And btw, I love the Gibson Girl style myself! Unfortunately I think I use this blog as an excuse to not get into "other" periods... like neo-Victorians REALLY care about the differences between Victorian and Edwardian.

    ReplyDelete