Thursday, January 12, 2012

future planning- cons

There may be a lack of posts for a while.  I've picked up a part-time job on top of my current full-time position that promises to turn into a more secure full-time job if I play my cards right.  While my current work situation is secure for now, its stability shakes or totters at certain moments, and money is becoming a worrying issue. Not getting paychecks on time on a regular basis and being lied to or having information withheld from one does frighten the average person in these trying economic times.  I am grateful to have a job, but it only becomes volunteer work if the money stops coming in- and I don't love what I do that much to work for free.

Since money is tight, I will have to forgo a European vacation this summer.  Instead I am going to spend my "vacation" time going to various steampunk conventions.  I am not sure exactly how many or which ones I want to attend, but I believe I have it narrowed down to the following:
I will have to calculate gas, hotel and food cost for these events.  The Cincinnati one can easily be a one-day trip for me, getting rid of the need for a hotel.  Fortunately I can also carpool with some steampunkers for some of these events, saving on gas and, potentially, hotel rooms.

I will probably do two or three.  It will also give me a reason to finish my steampunk sewing projects all the more quickly. 

Will any of you be attending any of these conventions?

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you are looking at the bright side of having to cancel your travel plans by focusing on conventions you'll enjoy. I hope you'll share lots of photos from these events!!

    Best of luck with the new job - may it become a stable, full-time venture for you! No one should be taken advantage of by an employer, but it seems to happen a lot now... It's like the bad economy justifies it because employers think you'll never be able to find another job. So sad. :(

    ReplyDelete