Friday, January 20, 2012

"gotham by gaslight" and batfit #3 progress update



image source: Comics Alliance

In an intriguing article entitled "'Gotham by Gaslight' and the Steampunk Batman Game That Never Was" on Comics Alliance, writer Chris Sims tells the tale of a 19th century themed Dark Knight video game.  The pitch?

The idea of Batman jumping across Victorian rooftps in Gotham City circa 1889 to slug it out with muttonchopped thugs, tracking trails of blood through shadowy streets, and having an epic confrontation with the real Jack the Ripper in a gothic graveyard on the graves of his own parents?

The article never offers up a reason why this delightfully dark Victorian adventure never made it to a gaming console near us in the 1990s.  But it does give one the opportunity to wonder: what if?

You can read the article in its entirety here.

image source: Comics Alliance
In other news...

So far my BatFit Challenge #3 has had mixed results.  Not enough impatience or perfectionism issues to note writing down.  Regarding my waking up challenge, however...

I utterly failed on Monday, but on Tuesday and Wednesday managed to surprise myself by only laying in bed a few minutes after my alarm went off before neglecting the warmth of my fleece sheets for the frigid winter air of a run-down Pittsburgh apartment bedroom.  It was nice on Wednesday especially as I ended up going to work super early to make up for time spent at my counseling appointment later that morning- thus getting rid of the necessity to stay longer to make up for the missed hour.  Thursday morning I failed again- I never heard my alarm and didn't awaken until one of my roommates woke me up an hour and a half later.

But I am not disheartened.  I am still striving to make this waking-up-on-time-on-a-regular-basis thing a reality. Even if I have to do this:

image source: WINNING AT EVERYTHING

4 comments:

  1. lol i think there are more people abusing their snooze button than alcohol.
    and that pic looks painful XD but a good idea, too.

    good luck :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a video game person (okay, but I do love a good bout of Angry Birds when I am sick in bed). But this one looks intriguing! I imagine it could be quite brilliant, aesthetically.

    I too struggle with waking up each morning. I'm a hopeless night-owl, and can be dead tired at 7 pm and magically wide awake at 10 pm. Each morning feels like being born (or so I assume). It's painful, even if I do get 8 hours of sleep. I haven't figured out a solution, but since it's painful regardless of the time, you'd think I would figure out to at least start the process earlier... Actually, one thing that does help in the winter is a programmable thermostat. I can tell it to warm the house up at 5:00 so it's less terrifying to leave the warm bed at 5:30. Maybe see if your landlord would be willing to install one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ kakuidori- Haha, yes, it is an excellent idea. Good luck with your own attempts!

    @ VictorianKitty- Your thermostat idea is a great one. But that's funny about seeing if my landlord would install something- he's yet to fully fix a partially collapsed ceiling in our apartment that's been hanging like a sword of Damocles over my head since last May. But I have tried to use a space heater in my bedroom to warm the air around for quite a few mornings. The result was that the warm air made me fall into a deeper coma-like sleep than usual and I ended up waking up hours later, drenched in sweat but otherwise no more inclined to awaken on time.

    YOU WAKE UP AT 5:30?! You poor thing! No wonder you have a hard time getting out of bed- that's pure torture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! I've had some landlords like that. I don't know how they can sleep at night. Must be nice to be able to focus totally on personal gain and not be bothered by a pesky conscious...

    ReplyDelete