Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"fight like a girl!"


After last year's debacle of an Emilie Autumn concert- in which freezing temperatures combined with miserable companions resulted in a less than enjoyable experience- I wasn't feeling as excited as I have before past concerts to see EA and her Bloody Crumpets strut their stuff on stage.

I only asked two of the five of us who went last year if they wanted to come to this year's concert- the ever present boyfriend Scott, and my little sister Jordan.  They happily accepted.  We arrived at 7:10, waited in 40 degree temperatures for a short while, and were in the venue within 10 or 15 minutes.

A few interesting changes to Mr. Small's Theater should be noted here- the sale of food both outside and inside the venue for the pleasure of the concert-goers:

They sold Honey Badger Burgers!  Because Honey Badger don't give a shit.
They also changed their alcohol policy.  Only those who are of legal age can approach the bar, but they are now entrusted to take their drinks out of the "21 and Over"  area up to the stage if they so chose.  None of us were drinking (Scott doesn't drink, I've cut down my drinking to be almost nonexistence, and Jordan is not legal) so we did not take advantage of this new liberty.

I did, however, take advantage of the time before the concert to survey the band's merchandise.  I finally settled on this lovely EA t-shirt:



The concert started soon after the promised starting time, and I settled in with my little sister and my boyfriend to enjoy.


I must give Emilie Autumn much kudos for really cleaning up her stage show.  There was a marked difference in last night's performance from my first experience in December 2009 that was for the better, at least in my opinion.  The show seemed to be the perfect length of 1 hour and 45 minutes, songs transitioned beautifully into each other, and the stage show was very well choreographed.  The new stage setup of barred railing was perfectly suitable for the image of an Asylum while still including elements from the stage shows of the past two years such as the large clock and the cart of sweets and tea.



I also enjoyed most of the new songs from the upcoming F.L.A.G. album.  They had that nice industrial feel with their own Asylum influenced themes and lyrics.  It felt like I was watching a musical for EA's book The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls, rather than songs inspired by such an Asylum (which is what many of the Opheliac set of songs actually are).

Regarding the crowd, there was yet again a rather different demographic.  Last year there were many more older attendees- some people who appeared to be in their late 30s, 40s, and even 50s.  The crowd this year seemed to be a good mix of 20 and 30 somethings, and an almost even mix of girls and guys.  Emilie Autumn even said at one point that it was amazing- there was almost no comprehensible demographic to the audience.  I have to agree- it seemed to be mostly people from a bunch of different subcultures, mostly those centering around the goth or industrial scene.

I had a terrific time.  Most of it had to do with the absence of two negative individuals who accompanied me last year, but to enjoy a mix of EA's old and new songs and stage show was such a pleasant surprise.  I even managed to catch some cupcake being chucked at the audience, so I got to have a snack mid-show as well.


5 comments:

  1. Looks like a good time! I'm not an EA fan but her shows do look like they are filled with amazing visuals and loads of fun.

    Dare I ask what a Honey Badger Burger is?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about the Honey Badger Burger too?

    I do like EA but haven't been to a concert, they do look like fun. She's coming to the UK at some point but I think I might be too late for tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear you had a great evening! was a nice show it seems though i would not go to an ea concert on my own XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ VictorianKitty and rachelsmith133- Considering Pittsburgh is not far from many rural areas and those rural areas (like where I grew up) are full of hicks, I'd like to imagine that the chef went out and shot a coupla Honey Badgers for our carnivorous enjoyment.

    The truth is probably less exciting- sounds more like the chef dubbed his unique honey BBQ sauce as "Honey Badger hot sauce" and put it on a regular burger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a great time. It's funny how some people can change an event for good or bad. It's good you went With positive people this time. Thanks for the tips about Toronto. :)

    ReplyDelete