Saturday, February 11, 2012

"turn me on" with a clockwork key

French DJ David Guetta and Trinidadian rapper Nicki Minaj have paired up to create a music video for the song "Turn Me On" set in a steampunk world.  The DJ creates a lifelike doll in the form of Minaj, making all of the other dolls jealous.


What do you think?  Should the pop music industry be allowed to continue making steampunk-inspired music videos or should they stay far, far away? 

My personal opinion is that steampunk-inspired music videos shouldn't only be the property of steampunk bands.  This attempt is much better than Justin Bieber's steampunk inspired "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."  I was very impressed with the depiction of the doll being constructed and with Minaj's Vneo-Victorian clothing.  The "naked" dolls, however, creep me out.  Maybe it's due to that mannequin nightmare I had when I was six rather than a bastardization of steampunk.  I am not a fan of the song itself.

I still rank Panic! At the Disco's "The Ballad of Mona Lisa" as the best use of steampunk by a mainstream pop band/musician

2 comments:

  1. I think it's just a mainstream trend that the pop music scene is coming to late. I'll roll my eyes at it, but I don't think it's anything particularly bad in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont really care what they do or don't do but i think it still is some kind of 'art' and so it is good. :-P (because of stupid gema i had half an hour search for these videos...)

    ReplyDelete