Monday, July 30, 2012

many reasons to celebrate

As this update is being posted I am on my way to the first day at my new job.  What better day to get back on my intended career path than on my own birthday.  A quarter century on this earth and I am finally working to what I hope will be a long and fulfilling career.  



And what better way to celebrate such bright new beginnings and significant landmarks in my life such as turning 25 and getting a new job than with tea, friends, and steampunk!




This Saturday several of my steampunk friends and I went to AntiquiTea, a tea room in the North Hills area, just north of the city of Pittsburgh.  The resident Lolita of the group, Gina, highly recommended it from having gone there before with other local Lolitas.  So we attended an afternoon low tea, complete with tea sandwiches, scones, and biscuits!


But the best part, as always, was to spend time in nerdy talk about everything from prevailing opinions about corsets in the late 19th century to obscure Batman villains with impeccably dressed friends, all over a lovely cup of brown joy.
Rose, Gina, and Lydia
Narla & Jason

As the afternoon tea cost $22.95, I specifically asked everyone to not bring me gifts, instead preferring that they pay their own way.  But what a pleasant surprise I received when I was gifted with four neo-Victorian and/or steampunk books and a steampunk bauble, complete with gears and glitter:


The titles are:

married to the sea- a selection of comics directly from the married to the sea online webcomics
Soulless- the graphic novel version of the first novel from the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger
The Plucker- A beautifully illustrated Gothic tale by Brom about toys that come to life
Boneshaker- A steampunk novel by Cherie Priest about zombies, mad scientists, and a 19th century northwest America that never was.


And who can forget Colonel Archibald T. Cephalthorp III, the pith-helmet-wearing steampunk squid who wished me a happy birthday, courtesy of the lovely Miss Rose:


Thanks to all of my friends for a wonderful birthday!  This beats even the amazing Pocahontas-themed birthday party I had 16 years ago.  And that party had ponies!

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, and congratulations!! You look lovely, and happy. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Congrats on the new job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!

    Here are some steampunk horoscope pictures to celebrate with:

    http://catell-ruz.deviantart.com/art/steampunk-horoscope-145600709

    ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful steamy interpretations. I like Virgo especially.

      Btw, I also adore your blogging moniker. :)

      Delete