Thursday, July 12, 2012

tesla b-day celebration in the 'burgh!

July 10 is Nikola Tesla's birthday, the inventor of A/C current and an idol of the steampunk world.  Which is ironic, as my boyfriend pointed out, because most of the things he did destroyed the steam technology our little subculture so admires.

In honor of Tesla, July 10 has been dubbed "International Strut Your Steampunk Stuff Day" by the steampunk community.  To celebrate, my neo-Victorian cohorts and I went to Meat & Potatoes, a fancy cocktail restaurant in downtown Pittsburgh.  None of us had been there before, but the cocktail section was certainly a 19th century enthusiast's dream come true:

Absinthe!  In an American restaurant!
Mixed drinks containing absinthe!
Despite the heat the outfits worn by my fellow steampunkers were impressive. We also managed to get the stink eye from several patrons and employees of the restaurant- guess it was a little too high-end for the likes of us to be trolling so blatantly. After drinks and dessert the group took a stroll through our once-great industrial city, while I had to cut out early.

Enjoy the photos!
Me, Scott, and Lydia Lamplighter
Photo by Rose Trowbridge.  Used with permission. 

Matt, Heather, and Persephone Dimebagger
Photo by Rose Trowbridge.  Used with permission. 
Rose
Photo by Rose Trowbridge.  Used with permission.

Lydia all aglow in steamy radiance!
Photo by Lydia Lamplighter.  Used with permission. 
As a relevant aside, on July 10 I was shopping at the local Target when I came across these home decorations:


1 comment:

  1. That restaurant looks amazing. I went to an old victorian bar when I was last in London and had an absinthe cocktail it was soo good. xx

    ReplyDelete