I have a question for anyone out there with advice on selling artwork online. Is it a viable thing to do?
For example, a friend of mine wants to try to sell artwork online. Like the following piece he made for me below, based on my steampunk interests and a photo I showed him of my purple hair phase from last year:
My questions are these:
- Would there be any interest in drawings like the one above that he did of me?
- What would be the best website on which to do this? DeviantART, this blog, Facebook, or some other method we haven't thought of yet?
- What's the best way to generate interest online?
- How many pieces would he need to display online to start out?
- What would be the asking price for these sort of drawings (even if it's as low as $5.00)?
Also, I am making the colossal decision to use Blogger's AdSense option- something I have been trying to avoid doing since they first offered it. But I have spent so much time on my blog in my spare time, and have had so many friends and acquaintances suggest that I take advantage of it, that I finally caved. The main reason is that I am broke. Not that I expect to be reeling in any big bucks from AdSense, but a little extra cash to help me pay for the expenses I incurred in the month that I was in between career-type jobs would certainly be a help. Despite my straitened circumstances I ended up spending more money than intended on things I needed for the in-person interview I had for my current museum job, an upcoming wedding in which I am a bridesmaid, and health insurance and medical costs when I was in-between jobs.
What are your thoughts on AdSense? Yay or Nay?