Thursday, September 13, 2012

going feminine on the pith

Back in July I happened to be browsing a local vintage clothing shop when I came across a feminine pith helmet.  At that time I was working my two-week stint as a stock clerk after quitting my previous job as a personal assistant.  Money was tight and my boyfriend has been excellent with letting me borrow his more masculine pith helmet for my steampunk exploits, so I passed up the unnecessary item, albeit reluctantly.

Scott's pith helmet
Scott's pith helmet
Fast-forward two months later, money is better, and so are my thoughts regarding the pith helmet.  Not only is the boy toy moving an hour away at the end of the month, possibly taking the pith helmet with him, but the feminine pith helmet at the vintage shop has gone down in price by $17.
What other option was there but to buy it and make it my own?

New pith helmet
New pith helmet
New pith helmet
I think I'll add some tulle-like material to it, like a tulle ribbon on a spool that will hang down the back.  What do you think of that idea?

Meeting of the sexes
What treasures have you readers found in thrift stores and vintage shops?

3 comments:

  1. I'd totally glue some gears on it... XD

    Now seriously: This hat looks pretty, and a tulle maybe with a brown bow would make it look even prettyer. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife uses tulle-decked pith helmet to capture a bug netting effect for her mildly deranged lady entomologist steampunk alter ego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea of a mildly deranged steampunk entomologist! I'm actually thinking of going to work like that- I work in a museum. The tulle has already been affixed, so all i need are bugs to add on.

      Brilliant!

      Delete