Monday, October 15, 2012

guest post: the victorian angel of afterlife?

For my second guest post, I want to tell you more about one of my favorite bands, Kamelot. Kamelot is a progressive metal band that I would not categorize as neo-Victorian or steampunk in any way, shape, or form. Their upcoming album, however, promises to be loosely relevant to the neo-Victorian. Silverthorn is a concept album with the following basic storyline as told by the band's guitarist and founding member Thomas Youngblood, on the band's website:
“It’s the story of a young girl who dies in the arms of her two twin brothers, taking the three siblings’ big secret to her grave. The songs on Silverthorn talk about despair, a sense of guilt and the pursuit of truth. In this context, the silver thorn in the album title has a mysterious meaning, but it’s up to the listener to unveil this secret."

While the storyline taking place in the 19th century does not necessarily mean "Victorian," I think the Angel of Afterlife's cameo brooch on the cover art more or less strengthens the argument:



image source: Kamelot's Facebook page
The album comes out at the end of October, and I strongly urge you all to give it a listen. I myself will write a review on it to post on this blog (and apologize if the Victorianisms only relate to the story's timeline and the cover art). In any case, I do not think this will be a waste of your time-- Kamelot first attracted me with their captivating storytelling ability, and their emotive instrumentals create an energy that allows the listener to linger between darkness and light. They are a great band that continues to grow in their abilities and creative license with each album.

Since Kamelot has not yet released the music video for their first single "Sacrimony", this 2-minute teaser will have to do. Enjoy!



Yours truly,

Margarete von Faust

No comments:

Post a Comment