Saturday, October 20, 2012

halloween photoshoot: steampunk witch

A few weeks ago I was invited to a Halloween photo shoot with Malcolm Gittins, an amateur photographer in the Pittsburgh area. I have some interest in modeling and wanted to build up my own portfolio, so I eagerly (and quickly) threw together a costume idea- a steampunk witch.

Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.
I spray painted a cardboard witch hat a brown, leather color, and then glued on some ribbon and a brass-colored decorative flower hairpiece. Then I focused on the broom. I wanted the broom to look steam-powered, so I conceived of a jet-pack like broom to propel my anachronistic witch through the air by “magical” mechanical means. I took a steel pole from an old broken floor lamp for the handle. After experimenting with a plastic wastepaper basket for the “bristle” part of the broom that just refused to adhere to the pole with Gorilla Glue, nails, screws, or other methods, I finally just went to Home Depot, got some aluminum sheeting, twisted it into a cone shape and, after duct-taping the cone in its shape, I duct-taped the cone to the broom. Then I sprayed the entire thing a copper color.

I think it turned out very well, don’t you?


Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.
Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.
Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.
The skirt was thrown together just using the top half of a bustle skirt from this Simplicity steampunk pattern:

It has no hem, no clasp in the back, and had to have a brown skirt added to provide some additional coverage for my thighs. But overall I am very satisfied with the look- it was very near what I was going for.

Malcolm took some terrific photos, and did a great job with the photo editing. Thanks so much for giving me this opportunity to model in a costume that is completely me!

Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.
Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.
Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.
Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.
Photo © Malcolm Gittins. Photo used with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment