Monday, October 22, 2012

the corset diet

I'm a sucker for ABC's 20/20 specials.  Unfortunately I think the reporting is a bit too biased for me to be comfortable with calling it good journalism.  But the show never fails to introduce me to a new and bizarre fad.

Such as this supposed diet fad that is not so new- the corset.

image source: ABC News

Having eaten food while wearing corsets, I discovered that tight-lacing really does reduce one's appetite- probably because it restricts the room available in your stomach for food, making you feel full sooner.  While I don't think such a diet method beats out healthy eating and exercise, and corsets do deform one's bone structure, it makes sense to see the corset as a Victorian woman's "weight loss" method, if only for restricting the space for food in one's stomach.

You can watch the segment from Friday, October 12's episode at the link below.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/corsets-newest-fashion-craze-17469255

No comments:

Post a Comment