Friday, October 26, 2012

vintage finds and sewing patterns

Cathy, one of my coworkers, has been cleaning out her old sewing supplies over the past few weeks. As she was digging through them she came across two patterns from Butterick that she thought would interest me, so she offered them to me. I eagerly accepted them. Is the next step for me historical Victorian costuming?

I do worry about the skill level I will need to achieve to complete these pieces. Simplicity is really all I am confident working with right now. Fortunately I do have a few Simplicity patterns to get through before I would even attempt these Butterick ones. But I’ll have them on hand, just in case I need them sooner than expected.

Cathy also gave me a Victorianesque vintage collar piece that she thought I might put to good use. Maybe for a little girl’s dress- that collar is extremely tiny! 

Isn’t the butterfly pattern on this piece gorgeous though?

6 comments:

  1. Everything about that blouse pattern scares the heck out of me, but I bet you'd do just fine with it! And what a beautiful little collar - can you imagine the time it must have taken to make that? I'd love to see what you end up using it on ... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patterns scare me too! Maybe one day I'll master them. For now, though, I'll safely avoid them and continue honing my skills.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful patterns. I love the Gibson girl look although I'm not sure if I could pull it off. I wouldn't need a bustle. :(
    The little collar is precious. Definitely for a little girl or maybe her "baby?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the collar is actually bigger than it looks, so it'd have to be a pretty big baby doll.

      I love the Gibson girl look took, but I love bustles more. :)

      Delete
  3. That lace pattern looks like it's just a standard crocheting job, done with a rather small needle. My grandmother used to make this type of things when her eyesight was better.

    Even if it is "tiny", we have to remember, people just don't come in Victorian petite sizes anymore. Or at least I don't. Any young lady who's closer to 6ft tall, like I am, will have significant trouble finding vintage clothes made before the 50s that fit at all, while people like my late grandmother (a petite, almost doll-like dame) could fit into her grandmother's old clothes with room to spare. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. Comparing ladies' dresses of 150 years ago to our sizes of today is rather astounding- they're more the size of modern preteen girls than modern full grown women!

      Delete