Friday, November 30, 2012

movie trailer: les misérables

Damn my sister Margarete.  I actually had no idea that there was going to be a film version of the musical Les Misérables.

Having been both a fan of the novel and the musical for years, I actually had no desire to see the film version.  I had quite literally not listened to my two disc original cast soundtrack CDs for years, and when Margarete told me on Thanksgiving about the movie, I scoffed at the thought of seeing the likes of Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Helena Bonham Carter in a film version of this musical.

Unfortunately her reminder of this musical I had once love adored resulted in me pulling the music from the depths of my computer.  I've pretty much done nothing but reacquaint myself to old favorites such as "I Dreamed a Dream," "Master of the House," "One Day More," "On My Own," "Bring Him Home," and "Javert's Suicide."

Here's the trailer for your enjoyment- not set in the Victorian era, but the original novel by Victor Hugo was published in 1862.  It is truly a masterpiece in ways that novels just don't measure up anymore- with multiple, intricately interwoven storylines that just collide at the right moments, creating a logical whole:

No comments:

Post a Comment