Sunday, November 18, 2012

ten minute steampunk time waster!

Many apologies for not updating much last week.  I was swamped at work and swamped after work- apparently I am either a very popular person or a gullible one, agreeing to help out with various projects that may not be of the best benefit to me.

Here's an update on the work situation-

I continue to love my museum job.  Part of the reason for this heartfelt love is due to the history behind this museum.  Andrew Carnegie truly fascinates me.  I haven't yet figured out why this Robber Baron of the 19th century wanted to start museums in Pittsburgh.  His true pet projects seem to have been libraries and charities in Scotland.  Yet he never forgot the Steel City in terms of culture.  Not only are most of the public libraries in this area "Carnegie Libraries," we also have a music hall, two museums, and numerous other public gifts due to his generosity.

During a recent meeting, however, I discovered where my salary comes from- Andrew Carnegie's fortune.  If our museums only use a certain percentage of Andrew Carnegie's original endowment from over 100 years ago, then we can continue to operate without depleting the endowment.

Folks, I am living off of the blood, sweat, tears, and guts of steel workers from the Victorian Era.  Carnegie sold his steel industry in the late 19th century and ended up donating 350 million dollars of his fortune by the time he died in 1919.  I am assuming most of this money came from the steel industry.  The funny part of all of this is that I come from a line of Pittsburgh steel workers.  It's quite possible that I am profiting off of the injustices they experienced.

Why does such a thing give me a "nerdgasm" every time I receive a paycheck?

Work has been busy due to the end of our fiscal year approaching in a few weeks.  It's been a pain in the arse, but I fully understand that "dream jobs" don't always consist of work I love.  That's just reality.  My father loves his job, and yet there are days when he wants to strangle his patients and call in sick the next day.  But overall he believes in what he does (physical therapy) and loves his work.  I love my work too- just not always.

Here's a simple steampunk game I found online called "Steampunk Odyssey."  Can you follow the puzzle to get "Abe from one end of the city to the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment