Friday, December 28, 2012

bizarre foods of the victorian dinner table

I'm sure many of you readers spent this last holiday sitting down to wondrous feasts of pork, turkey, lamb, geese, or chicken.  I certainly had my fill of ham and turkey, and lamb and pork will be ample over New Year's and Serbian Orthodox Christmas.

The Victorians themselves enjoyed a good- or not-so-good- cut of meat.  Listverse presents readers with a sample of the kind and quality of food to grace the Victorian table: from calves' foot jelly to broxy.  And I thought the tales of my own relatives partaking of pickled pigs' feet in the 1950s was unique.

Click here for the list of ten bizarre food items that Victorians ate.  Note: Vegans, vegetarians, or those easily made queasy by descriptions of dead and cut up animals may find some of the descriptions and images disturbing.  Proceed with caution.

image source: Listverse





4 comments:

  1. Ewww..... The last two are nauseating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite amusingly disgusting, especially poor people having to eat diseased animals. I just skimmed through them as I had Isambard (my parakeet) on my shoulder, and didn't want to scar him. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The head dishes are so bizarre! It was common to serve an owen baked pigs head with an apple in the mouth and decorated with icing on the christmas table, in sweden during that time. That was a festive dish. The flour soup reminds me of the small beer soup that was served. A soup made of small beer, molass, flour, water and salt with a hint of cinammon was a common every day treat. I worked as a geriatric nurse once and the elderly loved that soup.

    ReplyDelete